33 Surprising Signs and Symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic illness most commonly known for causing widespread pain, fatigue and brain fog. However, the disease is complex – it can cause a multitude of symptoms and is often accompanied by comorbid conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or chronic fatigue syndrome. Since fibromyalgia was formally recognized only a few decades ago, doctors are still learning about the illness and might not be able to prepare fibro patients for all the different symptoms they may experience.
To better understand the various ways in which this illness can affect people, we asked our Mighty community to share some of the physical symptoms of fibromyalgia that surprised them. Have you experienced any unexpected fibro symptoms? Let us know in the comments below.
Here’s what the community shared with us:
1. “Having a pain flare-up causes me to feel nauseous and so physically ill.”
2. “The relentless itching that pops up randomly, has no rhyme or reason, sometimes comes with hives or red spots. Itching that is insatiable and moves around from place to place.”
3. “The constant feeling of being tired. I sleep between eight and 12 hours a day and I’m still always tired.”
4. “Forgetting common words that I use every day.”
5. “[Having an] overactive bladder.”
6. “All the other medical conditions that come with it… migraine, IBS [irritable bowel syndrome], Raynauds phenomenon, chronic fatigue, insomnia and so many more. It is rarely a diagnosis on its own.”
7. “Skin sensitivity. If someone brushes past me even lightly it feels like I’ve been heavily hit.”
8. “Horrible menstrual cycles that leave [me] in bed with a heat pad on [my] stomach and gasping in the fetal position.”
9. “Feeling ‘loopy.’ I feel like I’m drunk. I even lose my balance while walking.”
10. “The occasional blurry vision even with glasses, like you’re seeing things through water.”
11. “The constant headaches/migraines I deal with on a daily basis.”
12. “Weird skin sensation and lack of temperature control.”
13. “Absolute klutziness. I can trip over my own feet and roll my ankles walking in grass. It is an extreme case of incoordination.”
14. “Blisters after being in the sun. Even with sunscreen use/no sunburn.”
15. “Feeling like I have bugs crawling in me to the point I will itch myself raw.”